Host a Foreign Student in Virginia
“We have hosted a student before and found it very rewarding.” Don M. – Virginia
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Virginia!
You are the one hosting the student, but your experiences are shared by all those around you too.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 20,274 international students studied in the state of Virginia. 1,359 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Virginia and most of them lived with host families.
Virginia host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, France, Spain, Italy, Slovakia, Czech Republic and others.
Our international agents scour the globe in 75 countries to bring the best and brightest exchange students here to study abroad.
Virginia Exchange Students –
- Have their own spending money for spending at the mall, concerts, sporting events or for items they need or want.
- Are completely medically insured worldwide through the program.
- Have an English skill rate of at least 70%.
- Are high school between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a comprehensive medical exam before leaving their country.
- Maintain good grades in their home school.
Our domestic representatives are committed to recruiting the finest Virginia host families for our exchange students.
Virginia Host Families –
- Come in all varieties and types.
- Are interested in global affairs.
- Are open-minded, receptive and loving.
- Are proud to share their culture..
- Want to learn more about other cultures.
- Want to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any able Virginia resident can be a host family. Host families can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Virginia.
Over 1,000,000 students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Virginia Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Virginia family.
Key International Student Statistics for Virginia
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 20,274
- Total Economic Contribution to Virginia from International Students: 717.5 million
- Total number of Virginia Jobs Supported through International Students: 8,323
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Virginia
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 948
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 411
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 1,359
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Virginia which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 422
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021