Host a Foreign Exchange Student in Kentucky
“I hosted during high school and enjoyed the new cultural experience. I also want to help someone have the opportunity to experience America.” Sarah W. – Kentucky
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Kentucky!
Becoming a host family is a VERY simple process. The feelings it creates for you and your students is what makes it so powerful.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 12,073 international students studied in the state of Kentucky. 500 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Kentucky and most of them lived with host families.
Kentucky host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador and others.
Representatives in 75 countries bring the best and brightest exchange students here to America to study abroad.
International Students –
- Come with have their own spending money for Churchill Downs, Louisville Zoo, Museums, etc.
- Are fully covered by insurance worldwide through the program.
- Have an English skill level of at least 70%.
- Are high school ages of 15-18.
- Receive a total medical testing prior to leaving their country.
- Maintain good grades in their high school.
Domestic representatives find the best families for our students.
Kentucky Families –
- Come in all styles.
- Are extremely interested in global affairs.
- Are open-minded and loving.
- Are proud to share the American culture with others.
- Have a desire to learn more about other peoples.
- Are looking to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable Kentucky resident can be a host family. Host families can be single persons, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Kentucky.
Over 1,000,000 high school and college foregin students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Kentucky Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Kentucky family.
Key International Student Statistics for Kentucky
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 12,073
- Total Economic Contribution to Kentucky from International Students: 405 million
- Total number of Kentucky Jobs Supported through International Students: 2,792
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Kentucky
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 136
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 364
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 500
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Kentucky which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 175
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021