Host a Foreign Exchange Student in Louisiana
“We’ve done it before, and think it would be a good experience for our 7 yr. old grandson.”
Rhonda B. – Louisiana
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Louisiana!
Your impact on a young foreign student’s life can help you be part of the change you want to see in the world.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 7,177 international students studied in the state of Louisiana. 352 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Louisiana and most of them lived with host families.
Louisiana host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, and others.
Universal representatives travel the globe in 75 countries to bring the best students to Louisiana to study.
Louisiana Students –
- Come with their own spending money for New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, etc.
- Are insured medically while they are here.
- Have an English skill level of at least 70%.
- Are high school, aged between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a comprehensive medical test before they leave home.
- Maintain very good grades in their home high school.
Local reps find the finest host families for our students.
Louisiana Host Families –
- Come in all styles.
- Are interested in worldwide affairs.
- Are attentive, receptive, and loving.
- Are proud to share their local American culture with others.
- Have a desire to learn more about other cultures and languages.
- Are looking to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable Louisiana resident is welcome to become a family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo, or apartment, you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Louisiana.
Over 1,000,000 high school/college-aged exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Louisiana Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Louisiana family.
Key International Student Statistics for Louisiana
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 7,177
- Total Economic Contribution to Louisiana from International Students: 250.2 million
- Total number of Louisiana Jobs Supported through International Students: 2,691
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Louisiana
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 50
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 302
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 352
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Louisiana which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 198
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021