Host a Foreign Student in Minnesota
“We’ve hosted summer exchange students and would like each of our children to host a high school student in their 11th grade of school.” Diane P. – Minnesota
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Minnesota!
One of life’s greatest experiences is giving opportunities to those who will truly cherish them. Host a foreign student and see that first hand.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 15,378 international students studied in the state of Minnesota. 1,418 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Minnesota and most of them lived with host families.
Minnesota host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, and others.
International agents scour the globe in 75 countries to bring the best students to Minnesota to study.
Exchange Students –
- Come with their own spending money for Mall of America, Sea Life Aquarium, Nickelodeon Universe.
- Are completely covered by insurance through the program.
- Have an English skill rate of at least 70%.
- Are high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- Have a comprehensive medical exam before leaving home.
- Maintain good grades in their home school.
Local agents look for the finest families to host our exchange students.
Minnesota Host Families –
- Come in all varieties, types, and styles.
- Are interested in global, worldwide affairs.
- Are open-minded, receptive, and loving.
- Are proud to share the American culture with others.
- Want to learn more about other cultures, languages, and peoples.
- Are looking to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any mature Minnesota resident is welcome to apply to host an exchange student. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo, or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Minnesota.
Over 1,000,000 exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Minnesota area families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Minnesota family.
Key International Student Statistics for Minnesota
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 15,378
- Total Economic Contribution to Minnesota from International Students: 467.7 million
- Total number of Minnesota Jobs Supported through International Students: 4,202
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Minnesota
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 445
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 973
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 1,418
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Minnesota which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 289
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021