Host a Foreign Exchange Student in Maine
“I have hosted & represented in the past and am interested in getting back into hosting at this time.”
Jackie R. – Maine
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Maine!
Just because you have retired from teaching does not mean you have to stop teaching. Host a student.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 1,480 international students studied in the state of Maine. 891 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Maine and most of them lived with host families.
Maine host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, France, Spain, Italy, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, and others.
Our international representatives scour the globe in 75 countries to bring the smartest students here to study abroad.
Maine Students –
- Come with their own spending money, Arcadia National Park, Casco Bay, etc.
- Are totally insured worldwide through the program while they are in the United States.
- Have an English skill rate of at least 70%.
- Are high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a medical test before leaving their country.
- Maintain good grades in their home country.
Local agents will find the best host families for our exchange students.
Maine Families –
- Come in all styles.
- Are interested in worldwide affairs.
- Are open-minded and loving.
- Are proud to share their local culture with others.
- Have a desire to learn more about other peoples.
- Are looking to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable Maine resident may submit an application to be a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo, or apartment, you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Maine.
Over 1,000,000 exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Maine Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Maine family.
Key International Student Statistics for Maine
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 1,480
- Total Economic Contribution to Maine from International Students: 55.6 million
- Total number of Maine Jobs Supported through International Students: 446
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Maine
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 662
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 229
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 891
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Maine which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 122
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021