Host a Foreign Student in Rhode Island
“We had a foreign exchange student since last August and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.”
Emma M. – Rhode Island
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Rhode Island!
Would you be proud to share American culture and opportunity with others? You can! Host an exchange student.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 5,225 international students studied in the state of Rhode Island. 274 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Rhode Island and most of them lived with host families.
Rhode Island host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador and others.
International reps cover the globe in 75 countries to bring the brightest students to study abroad.
Rhode Island Foreign Students –
- Come with their own spending money to buy any incidentals they need or want while they are here; concert tickets, books, etc.
- Are insured medically while they are here via the program.
- Have an English rate of at least 70%.
- Are high school students ages of 15-18.
- Receive a full medical exam before leaving their country.
- Maintain good grades in their home school.
Domestic agents are committed to recruiting the finest families for our students.
Rhode Island Host Families –
- Come in all types.
- Are interested in worldwide affairs.
- Are open-minded and receptive to new ideas.
- Are proud to share their local culture.
- Want to learn more about other cultures.
- Want to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any mature Rhode Island resident may submit an application to be a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Rhode Island.
Over 1,000,000 exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Rhode Island Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Rhode Island family.
Key International Student Statistics for Rhode Island
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 5,225
- Total Economic Contribution to Rhode Island from International Students: 259.9 million
- Total number of Rhode Island Jobs Supported through International Students: 2,517
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Rhode Island
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 248
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 26
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 274
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Rhode Island which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 74
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021