Host a Foreign Student in South Carolina
“We hosted a student before and our son is very excited about the possibility of having another student live with us.” Patti L. – South Carolina
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in South Carolina!
If you ever wanted to see first hand where one of your donations goes, host a student and watch it in real time.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 6,493 international students studied in the state of South Carolina. 441 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in South Carolina and most of them lived with host families.
South Carolina host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador and others.
Universal representatives cross the globe in over 75+ countries looking for the best and brightest exchange students.
South Carolina Exchange Students –
- Come with their own pocket money for the Zoo, Museum, Amusement Park and any items they may need to buy.
- Are medically covered by their own insurance while they are here in the U.S.
- Have an English proficiency rate of at least 70%.
- Are high school students ages 15-18.
- Receive a comprehensive medical exam prior to leaving home.
- Keep good grades in their home school.
Local agents are committed to recruiting the finest families for our exchange students.
South Carolina Hosts –
- Come in all varieties, styles and types.
- Are interested in global, worldwide affairs.
- Are attentive, open-minded, receptive and loving.
- Are proud to share the American culture with others.
- Have a desire to learn more about other cultures and peoples.
- Are happy to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable South Carolina resident can apply to be a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon South Carolina.
Over 1,000,000 students come to the U.S. each year. Hundreds of those students stay with South Carolina Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your South Carolina family.
Key International Student Statistics for South Carolina
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 6,493
- Total Economic Contribution to South Carolina from International Students: 199.2 million
- Total number of South Carolina Jobs Supported through International Students: 1,954
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for South Carolina
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 179
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 262
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 441
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in South Carolina which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 187
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021