Host a Foreign Exchange Student in Iowa
“I have hosted a foreign exchange student in the past and it was a great adventure. My daughter is now in the 6th grade and I think the experience for her would be very gratifying.” Nancy S. – Iowa
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Iowa!
If you understand that changing one life can possibly change the world, you should be a Host Family.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 11,603 international students studied in the state of Iowa. 625 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Iowa and most of them lived with host families.
Iowa host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, and others.
International agents travel the world in over 75 countries to bring exchange students here to study abroad.
Iowa Students –
- Come with their own spending money for the Zoo, Iowa State Fair, Adventureland, etc.
- Come with their own medical insurance that is good anywhere in the world through the program.
- Have an English skill level of at least 70%.
- Are high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a full medical test before leaving their country.
- Keep up average to good grades in their home country high school.
Our local agents are committed to finding the best families for the students.
Iowa Host Families –
- Come in all varieties, types, and styles.
- Are interested in global, worldwide affairs.
- Are open-minded, loving, and attentive.
- Are proud to share their culture with others.
- Are amenable to learning more about other cultures.
- Want to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable Iowa resident can apply to the program. Host families can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo, or apartment, you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Iowa.
Over 1,000,000 college and high school-aged foreign students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Iowa area families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Iowa family.
If you know someone in Iowa who might be interested in hosting an exchange student, please ask them to visit Iowa Host Families
Other Locations in Iowa
Key International Student Statistics for Iowa
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 11,603
- Total Economic Contribution to Iowa from International Students: 352 million
- Total number of Iowa Jobs Supported through International Students: 2,883
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Iowa
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 147
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 478
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 625
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Iowa which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 227
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021