Host a Foreign Exchange Student in Maryland
“I’ve hosted before and now that my youngest is a senior in high school we want to host again.”
Bernie W. – Maryland
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Maryland!
If you have never had a child, but still want to impact a young adult, you can still host an exchange student.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 20,362 international students studied in the state of Maryland. 739 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Maryland and most of them lived with host families.
Maryland host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, France, Spain, Italy, Kyrgyzstan, Slovakia, and others.
Agents in over 75+ countries search for the best and brightest exchange students to bring to study abroad.
Maryland Students –
- Come with their own spending money, National Aquarium, Fort McHenry, Oriole Park, etc.
- Are fully insured medically while they are here in the U.S. through the program.
- Have an English rate of at least 70%.
- Are high school-aged between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a total medical test before leaving their country.
- Maintain good grades in their home.
Local representatives look for the best families to host our students.
A Host Family –
- Can come in all styles and types.
- Is usually interested in global affairs.
- Will be open-minded, receptive, and loving.
- Is proud to share their culture with others.
- Has a desire to learn more about other cultures and peoples.
- Is looking to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable Maryland resident may apply to be a family. Host families can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo, or apartment, you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Maryland.
Over 1,000,000 exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Maryland area Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Maryland family.
Key International Student Statistics for Maryland
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 20,362
- Total Economic Contribution to Maryland from International Students: 761.4 million
- Total number of Maryland Jobs Supported through International Students: 8,725
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Maryland
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 573
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 166
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 739
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Maryland which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 343
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021