Host a Foreign Student in California
“I have hosted a foreign exchange student in the past and it was a great adventure. My daughter is now in the 6th grade and I think the experience for her would be very gratifying.” Nancy S. – California
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in California!
When you host an student you realize that paying it forward is about impacting the lives of those around us.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 160,592 international students studied in the state of California. 5,763 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in California and most of them lived with host families.
California host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as France, Spain, Italy, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Ukraine and others.
In 2014, the majority of exchange students who studied in California came from:
- South Korea
Universal agents scour the globe in 75 countries to bring the smartest students here to California to study abroad.
California Foreign Students –
- have their own spending money to spend in Hollywood, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Franciso.
- are completely insured worldwide through the program.
- have an English proficiency rate of 70% or higher.
- are high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- receive a thorough medical exam prior to leaving their country.
- maintain good grades in their home country high school.
Domestic representatives are committed to recruiting the finest California host families for the students.
California Host Families –
- come in all varieties, styles, and types.
- are extremely interested in global affairs.
- are open-minded, receptive and loving to all people.
- are proud to share their local California/American culture with others.
- have a desire to learn more about other cultures.
- are looking to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any reliable California resident may apply to be a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, events, and outings. For great deals on experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon California.
Over 1,000,000 high school and college exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Hundreds of those students stay with California Host Families. We can help you find the perfect exchange student for your family.
Other California locations!
Key International Student Statistics for California
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 160,592
- Total Economic Contribution to California from International Students: 6.6 billion
- Total number of California Jobs Supported through International Students: 69,154
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for California
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 4,346
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 1,417
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 5,763
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in California which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 2,143
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021