Host a Foreign Student in South Dakota
“We have hosted 4 times before and find it a wonderful addition to the family and we enjoy sharing with others.” Robert V. – South Dakota
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in South Dakota!
If you have children who want to become exchange students, why not do a real cultural exchange and host a student while yours are away?
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 1,826 international students studied in the state of South Dakota. 206 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in South Dakota and most of them lived with host families.
South Dakota host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador and others.
Our international agents travel the world in 75 countries looking for the best candidates to study abroad.
International Students –
- Come with their own spending money for Mt Rushmore, Badlands National Park and any incidentals they need to buy.
- Are insured medically through the program.
- Have an English skill level of at least 70%.
- Are high school ages of 15-18.
- Receive a medical test before leaving their country.
- Keep good grades in their home country school.
Local representatives commit to recruiting the finest host families for our students.
South Dakota Families –
- Come in all varieties, styles and types.
- Are interested in worldwide affairs.
- Are attentive, receptive and loving.
- Are proud to share their local culture.
- Have a desire to learn more about other peoples.
- Would like to help promote world peace through cultural exchange.
Any reliable South Dakota resident may apply to be a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon South Dakota.
Over 1,000,000 exchange students in high school and college come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with South Dakota Hosts. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your South Dakota family.
Key International Student Statistics for South Dakota
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 1,826
- Total Economic Contribution to South Dakota from International Students: 39.2 million
- Total number of South Dakota Jobs Supported through International Students: 269
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for South Dakota
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 33
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 173
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 206
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in South Dakota which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 44
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021