Host a Foreign Exchange Student in Alaska
“We’ve done it before, and think it would be a good experience for our 7 yr. old grandson.”
Rhonda B. – Alaska
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Alaska!
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 375 international students studied in the state of Alaska. 135 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Alaska and most of them lived with host families.
Alaska host families are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, and others.
Our agents travel the globe in 75 countries to bring the best and brightest exchange students here to the USA to study abroad.
Alaska Foreign Students –
- Have their own spending money for trips to Anchorage Museum, Mendenhall Glacier
- Speak English at 70% or better.
- Are mostly high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a medical exam prior to leaving their country.
- Are insured worldwide through the program.
- Maintain B and C grades in their home country high school.
Local reps look for the finest families for our exchange students.
Alaska Host Families –
- Come in all types.
- Are interested in world affairs.
- Are open-minded, receptive, and loving.
- Are proud to share their local culture.
- Have a desire to learn more about other peoples.
- Want to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable Alaska resident may apply to be a volunteer host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo, or apartment, you can host a foreign exchange student.
Looking for some weekend/day activities? Try one of these:
- 20 Awesome things to do in Alaska
- Kayaking and Canoeing Destinations
- Iconic Alaskan Food
- For great deals on activities, events, and experiences in Alaska, visit Groupon Alaska
Over 1,000,000 high school and college exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Alaska Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Alaska family.
If you know someone in Alaska who might be interested in hosting an exchange student, please ask them to visit Alaska Host Families
Key International Student Statistics for Alaska
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 375
- Total Economic Contribution to Alaska from International Students: 11.6 million
- Total number of Alaska Jobs Supported through International Students: 82
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Alaska
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 1
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 134
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 135
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Alaska which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 49
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021