Host a Foreign Student in West Virginia
“We hosted a student before and our son is very excited about the possibility of having another student live with us.” Patti L. – West Virginia
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in West Virginia!
When you open your home to a foreign exchange student your costs include food and love.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 3,680 international students studied in the state of West Virginia. 230 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in West Virginia and most of them lived with host families.
West Virginia host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, France, Spain, Italy, Krygystan, Mongolia, Slovakia, Czech Republic and others.
Our international representatives travel the globe in 75 countries to find the best and brightest exchange students.
West Virginia Students –
- Have their own spending money to buy any incidentals they want or need; sporting or concert tickets, books, etc.
- Are insured medically through the program.
- Have an English ability level of at least 70%.
- Are high school students ages 15-18.
- Receive a full medical testing prior to leaving their country.
- Maintain good grades in their home school.
Local agents look for the finest West Virginia families for our students.
West Virginia Hosts –
- Come in all types.
- Are interested in world affairs.
- Are receptive and loving.
- Are proud to share their local American culture with others.
- Want to learn more about other cultures.
- Hope to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any responsible West Virginia resident can be a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon West Virginia.
Over 1,000,000 exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with West Virginia Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your West Virginia family.
Key International Student Statistics for West Virginia
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 3,680
- Total Economic Contribution to West Virginia from International Students: 116.1 million
- Total number of West Virginia Jobs Supported through International Students: 1,052
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for West Virginia
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 87
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 143
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 230
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in West Virginia which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 71
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021