Host a Foreign Student in New York
“I have hosted & represented in the past and am interested in getting back into hosting at this time.”
Jackie R. – New York
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in New York!
How would you feel knowing that by hosting a student you had a lasting impact on someone’s life?
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 126,911 international students studied in the state of New York. 3,037 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in New York and most of them lived with host families.
New York host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, France, Spain, Italy, Krygystan, Mongolia, Slovakia and others.
In 2014, the majority of exchange students who studied in New York came from:
- South Korea
International agents across the globe in 75+ countries looking for the best and brightest exchange students to study abroad.
New York Exchange Students –
- Have their own spending money for spending in New York while they’re here. They buy their own shampoo, concert tickets, sports tickets, etc.
- Are fully insured while they stay in the USA through the program.
- Have an English ability level of at least 70%.
- Are high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a full medical test before leaving their home country.
- Maintain good grades at home.
Our local representatives find the best New York host families for the students.
New York Families –
- Come in all styles and types.
- Are interested in worldwide global affairs.
- Are open-minded, amenable, receptive and loving.
- Are proud to share their American culture with others.
- Have a desire to learn more about other peoples.
- Are looking to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable New York resident is welcome to apply to be a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon New York.
Over 1,000,000 exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Hundreds of those students stay with New York Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your New York family.
Key International Student Statistics for New York
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 126,911
- Total Economic Contribution to New York from International Students: 5.3 billion
- Total number of New York Jobs Supported through International Students: 55,383
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for New York
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 2,430
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 607
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 3,037
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in New York which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 1,047
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021