Host a Foreign Student in Massachusetts
“We hosted a student before and our son is very excited about the possibility of having another student live with us.” Patti L. – Massachusetts
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Massachusetts!
If you have a passion for volunteerism or philanthropy, then hosting an exchange student SHOULD be on your bucket list.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 73,695 international students studied in the state of Massachusetts. 2,433 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Massachusetts and most of them lived with host families.
Massachusetts host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, France, Spain, Italy, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Slovakia, and others.
The majority of students who came to Massachusetts in 2014 to study in high school were from:
- South Korea
International representatives travel the globe in 75+ countries to bring the best and brightest exchange students to study abroad.
Massachusetts International Students –
- Come with their own spending money, Fenway Park, Boston Common, Museum of Fine Arts, etc.
- Are medically insured through the program during their stay in America.
- Have an English level of at least 70%.
- Are high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a comprehensive medical test prior to leaving home.
- Maintain good grades in their local high school.
Domestic reps recruit the finest Massachusetts families for our students.
Massachusetts Hosts –
- Come in all styles.
- Are interested in global, worldwide affairs.
- Are open-minded, attentive, and loving.
- Are proud to share their local American culture with others.
- Have a desire to learn more about other peoples and cultures.
- Are looking to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any mature Massachusetts resident can apply to become a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Massachusetts.
Over 1,000,000 exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Hundreds of those students stay with Massachusetts Host Families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Massachusetts family.
Key International Student Statistics for Massachusetts
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 73,695
- Total Economic Contribution to Massachusetts from International Students: 3.2 billion
- Total number of Massachusetts Jobs Supported through International Students: 36,076
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Massachusetts
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 2,295
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 138
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 2,433
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Massachusetts which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 400
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021