Host a Foreign Exchange Student in Illinois
“When I was in high school we hosted several exchange students. I enjoyed the cultural diversity and it has helped me in my current job.” Jason W. – Illinois
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Illinois!
Being a host family will do more for you than the exchange student. Want Proof?
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 51,966 international students studied in the state of Illinois. 1,355 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Illinois and most of them lived with host families.
Illinois host family homes are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador and others.
Our representatives travel the world in 75 countries to bring the best students to study abroad.
Illinois Students –
- Come with their own spending money for going to Cubs, Bulls, Bears games or Zoos or Museums or other incidentals they may want or need.
- Come fully medically insured through the program.
- Have an English skill level of at least 70%.
- Are high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a comprehensive medical exam prior to leaving their country.
- Keep average grades in their home country high school.
Local representatives are committed to finding the best families for the foreign students.
Illinois Families –
- Come in all varieties and types.
- Are interested in world affairs.
- Are open-minded and loving.
- Are proud to share their local culture with others.
- Want to learn more about other peoples.
- Hope to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any capable Illinois resident may apply to be a host family. A host family can be an individual, single parents, grandparents, empty nesters. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo, or apartment you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, events, and outings. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Illinois.
Over 1,000,000 students come to the U.S. each year. Hundreds of those students stay with Illinois Host Families. There is an exchange student who will be a perfect fit for your family.
If you know someone in Illinois who might be interested in hosting an exchange student, please ask them to visit Illinois Host Families
Key International Student Statistics for Illinois
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 51,966
- Total Economic Contribution to Illinois from International Students: 1.7 billion
- Total number of Illinois Jobs Supported through International Students: 21,598
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Illinois
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 713
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 642
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 1,355
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Illinois which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 744
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021