Host a Foreign Exchange Student in Hawaii
“We had a foreign exchange student since last August and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.”
Emma M. – Hawaii
Exchange students from all over the world will arrive in Hawaii!
To be successful, you do not have to change the lives of many, just change the life of one foreign exchange student.
In the 2019-20 Academic Year, 3,706 international students studied in the state of Hawaii. 272 of these students attended high school or secondary schools in Hawaii and most of them lived with host families.
Hawaii host families are welcomed to become part of the exciting world of student exchange. Exchange students will be arriving in August from countries such as Germany, Brazil, South Korea, Columbia, Thailand, Belgium, Mexico, Ecuador, France, Spain, Italy, and others.
Our representatives cover the world in 75+ countries to bring the best students to study.
Hawaii International Students –
- Come with their own spending money for Maui, Waikiki, Honolulu, etc.
- Are fully insured medically through the program.
- Have an English skill level of at least 70%.
- Are high school students between the ages of 15-18.
- Receive a full medical exam prior to leaving their country.
- Maintain good grades in their home country’s high school.
Our local representatives commit themselves to get the best host families.
Hawaii Host Families –
- Come in all varieties and styles.
- Are interested in worldwide affairs.
- Are open-minded, attentive, and loving.
- Are proud to share their local culture.
- Are looking to learn more about other cultures and peoples.
- Want to help promote peace through cultural exchange.
Any responsible Hawaii resident is welcome to apply to be a host family. A host family can be a single person, single parents, grandparents. Whether you live in a house, town home, condo, or apartment, you can host a foreign exchange student.
Host families are encouraged to include their exchange students in family activities, outings, and events. For great deals on interesting experiences for the whole family, visit Groupon Hawaii.
Over 1,000,000 college/high school-aged exchange students come to the U.S. each year. Dozens of those students stay with Hawaii area families. Let us help you find an exchange student to host who will be a perfect fit for your Hawaii family.
If you know someone in Hawaii who might be interested in hosting an exchange student, please ask them to visit Hawaii Host Families
Key International Student Statistics for Hawaii
Total International Students and Economic Contribution from NAFSA
- Total Number of International Students: 3,706
- Total Economic Contribution to Hawaii from International Students: 107.5 million
- Total number of Hawaii Jobs Supported through International Students: 882
- Click here to see the NAFSA Economic Contribution Report for Hawaii
High School/Secondary Student Statistics from CSIET and US Department of Homeland Security
- Total Number of Students on F-1 Student Visa: 224
- Total Number of Students on J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: 48
- Total Number of F-1 and J-1 Visa Students (Secondary Students): 272
- Total number of SEVIS Certified schools and universities in Hawaii which are approved to provide student visas to international students: 88
If you are interested in hosting an international student or are an international student and would like to apply to a US institution, Call us Today! at +1 (203) 285-6767.
*F-1 Secondary Students by State: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS Data Mapping Tool, March 2021 Statistics
**J-1 Secondary Students: Council on Standards for International Education and Travel (CSIET) 2018-19 J-1 Students by State Data
***Total International Students and Economic Value Statistics: NAFSA: Association of International Educators 2019-20 Economic Value Statistics
****Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-certified schools: Department of Homeland Security SEVIS School List March 2021